Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Art of Submission


I started taking swing dance classes a few months ago.  I picked up on the basic movements pretty quickly.
My only problem was that I tried to anticipate the movements of my partner.  With any dance where partners are required, one partner must lead and the other must follow.  I wasn't allowing my partner to lead me.  I would sense that my partner was leading me into a full turn.  I would start right into a full turn only to be twirled right back around for a half turn instead.  I did this pretty often during those first few classes until I learned to trust my partner.  There were very experienced guys and some who had only been dancing for a short time in the class. I treated them all the same.  Wherever they led me I would follow.  Sometimes they would lead me into the incorrect movement, but I never corrected them.  I had to submit in the dance.  I had to allow them to lead even if I didn't feel comfortable about the destination.

This is exactly what happens when it comes to following God.  He takes us by the hand and asks us to dance with Him. At first things are quite easy and we find ourselves enjoying His company as well as the dance.  Somewhere along the way God decides to throw in a new move – one that we haven’t rehearsed but He knows that we can handle.  As soon as He does this we let go; breaking the connection from our leader.  We ruin the dance.  When we finally get the courage to dance with God again (submitting completely to Him) He takes us to levels that we could have never imagined. 

In order to get to our next level in life, we have to trust God and surrender ourselves to Him.

#My life is not my own. To you I belong.  I give myself, I give myself to you. I give myself away. So you can use me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment