Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I lost my jacket at the Crossroads



He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; Daniel 2:21


One beautiful spring afternoon, I was near Crossroads, Texas visiting a friend.  I had the windows slightly cracked and sunroof open.  The wind was unusually strong on this particular day, so old receipts and other papers (clearly I needed to clean out my car) were blowing freely around in the back seat of my car.  I had one of my suit jackets for work hanging over the passenger seat.  I had worn it a few days before.  The weather in Texas can be a bit unpredictable at times, so I decided to leave it in the car for those extraordinarily chilly mornings.

As the music played over the radio I enjoyed the gentle warmth of the sun touching my face.  I popped on a pair of sunglasses and got lost in the lyrics of the spring afternoon.  Suddenly the wind whipped and the car slightly veered to the right.  I snapped out of my day dream and placed both hands on the steering wheel.  Back in control of the car I began singing (very loud and off key I might add).  Out of the corner of my eye I could see something black flapping in the wind.  I turned my head just in time to see my jacket fly out of the window into traffic.  I was in complete shock.  I was driving on one of the major highways going sixty-five miles per hour.  There was no way that I could just pull over and secure my belongings.  I glanced in the rearview mirror to see my jacket being trampled by oncoming traffic.  I was sad.  A piece of me was flying through the air and I would probably never see it again.

I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason.  I also believe very strongly that God uses every single situation or circumstance to teach us a lesson that we need for whatever season we are going through.

During this time, I was holding on to things that were no longer required in my life.  I thought I needed people, things, or situations to define me.  God was trying to show me that once he removes something or someone from my life those things or people no longer have a place.  They are dead.  They have served their purpose.  I was holding on to the jacket in my car for fear that I may need it one day in the future.  What I failed to realize was that I was in a new season.  I no longer needed the protection of the sleeves against my skin.  The new season had brought about the sun – God’s light. That was all of the protection that I needed.

Are you holding on to something or someone who no longer belongs in your new season?

No comments:

Post a Comment