Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Burn Waste Theory

(DISCLAIMER: May not be suitable for those with weak stomachs.)


Okay... so I tend to complain a little bit here and there when things don't seem to go my way.  Because of this I have noticed that my attitude isn’t always so pleasant.  In an effort to move pass this chapter of my week (yes my week) I decided to seek counsel from a co-worker who seems to always be in great spirits. Every time he comes by my desk he has a positive quote or a story about how things are not as bad as they could be. 

Just today he was telling me about some of his daily routines while stationed in Iraq.  One of the routines involved disposing of his waste (yes, his waste). He was in the middle of the desert so there weren’t any showers, running water, or restrooms. He and the other soldiers built a wooden porta potty in order to “handle their business.” They'd cut a barrel half in to and place it inside as their toilet. Once the “toilet” was full they had to dispose of the waste to prevent illnesses (my assumption) since they would be sleeping nearby as well as to get rid of the odor.  They would pour gasoline and water into the barrels and set them on fire. Oh, but wait, it doesn’t stop there! Someone would then have to stir the waste until it dissolved into nothingness. 

So, you see how blessed we are?!?

After hearing his story we created the “Burn Waste Theory.” This concept reminds us that no matter how bad we think things are going, at least we don’t have to burn our own waste. 

Be blessed,
Christy


“In everything you do, stay away from complaining…” Philippians 2:14


Soldier pouring gasoline into wastefilled barrel
Soldiers burning waste

Soldier stirring waste

No comments:

Post a Comment