Monday, April 18, 2011

God, me, and Annabel Lee...

My eighth grade English teacher once gave us an assignment to memorize and recite the poem Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe.  We had the entire weekend to read the poem and on Monday morning we would review with the rest of the class.  For whatever reason, I didn't memorize the poem and felt terrible after watching classmate after classmate deliver the lines proudly in front of the class.  When my time came I struggled to remember few lines and of course my teacher could tell that I wasn’t prepared.  Instead of giving me an incomplete for the assignment she gave me the option to try again the following day.

That evening I read the poem over and over again until I had memorized every stanza.  The next day during English class I stood confidently in front of my classmates and told the story of Annabel Lee. My English teacher taught me two lessons that day. 1) Allows be prepared for a test and 2) if given a second chance take full advantage of the opportunity.

Often times in life we find ourselves in situations where we are not prepared for a test.  God will give us chance or chance and opportunity after opportunity to fix things that may seem broken. It is up to us to take full advantage of every opportunity and try our best to learn from the experience in an effort to reduce the chances of them happening again.


Be blessed,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment