Thursday, September 11, 2014

Just like that: Inspiration

After suffering yet another day of writer's block I took to my bookshelf for inspiration from other brave souls who had dared to share their innermost thoughts with the world. Tucked away neatly in my end table turned bookshelf was "A Gift for Ron" by Everson Walls former Grambling State football player and former Dallas Cowboys star. I met Everson during the GSU Alumni football brunch in 2012, but it has taken me almost exactly two years to crack open my autograph copy of his book.  I had heard great reviews and was excited to read how he had sacrificed so much for a close friend, but somehow life happened and here I am today reading the story for the first time.  It has only been a couple of hours and quite frankly I don't know what made me go for this book and not one of the many titles that seem to glare at me after time I walk passed their unopened covers. All I know is that God always sends along the inspiration that I need exactly when I need it. This is not the first time that I've pulled a book off the shelf after having owned it for several years and it seemed to light something under my behind. Well, this book did just that. I just finished chapter 4 "Coach Rob's Team" and I promise there were moments that I wanted to shout out loud, cry, laugh, and dance around the room (and sometimes I did). Everson's account of his experience at Grambling and most importantly the lessons that he learned from Coach Rob make me proud to be a Gramblinite and a "local" having grown up literally less than a mile from campus.  I haven't finished reading the book obviously, but I had to stop for a second to share these few words with you. I'll be sure to write again once I'm done. As I prepare to read the remaining 12 chapters I can't help but to get excited about the current football season and the strides that MY school is currently making.  I'll leave you with this challenge...buy the book for yourself, buy it for your child, buy it for your husband, your son, or any student currently attending GSU.  I was prepared to read about disease, surgeries, and football but there is so much more. And just like that I no longer have writers block. Just like that I am inspired and no longer afraid to take the first step. Just like that I am reminded of true friendships that have lasted for decades. Just like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment