Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Letters - Letter #12


To: The Love makers and Heart breakers (Part 4)

From: Me 

I forgot about the God of my father.  Your home became my sanctuary.  Your words became my scriptures.  I gave you thanks when I opened my eyes.  I was swimming in a sea of you.  You were like a drug and I was addicted.  If I couldn’t have you, I went through withdrawals.  I no longer had friends.  You became my everything.  My heart could only beat when you were there next to me.

Somewhere along the way I became immune to you.  I took larger doses of you, but still I felt empty.  My heart longed for something. My heart longed for more, but you weren’t able to give it to me. And then my God, who had been silently watching me lose my mind flew down and took you from me.  I knew the day would come.  One of the D’s would be the reason my world would come crashing down and life as I knew it would never be the same. Death or distance would take you away from me.

And then it happened…  You caught the south side bus and never looked back. 

I held my chest where my heart use to be as tears streamed down my face.  I no longer recognized the person that stared back at me in the mirror.  Your path had been my path.  Your way had been my way.  Your home had been my sanctuary.  I was lost in a sea of memories of you.  You promised me that no other heart would replace that of mine, but fourscore and three moons later…

Silence…crickets…

You had forgotten me. I was dangerously in love with the idea that you would be my husband and I your wife. 

Silence…crickets…

That’s all I got from you, so I cried out to the God that I had forgotten. I wasn’t sure if He would hear me. Day after Day, night after sleepless night I called out to Him. Finally…Finally He spoke to me calling me by name.  He showed me the pathway back to His house and showed me the errors of my ways. 

And just like that life started happening.  There was still a hole in my heart, but God…pumped blood through my veins.  Slowly but surely I got my stride back.  I recognized me again, but you were never far from my thoughts.

Early one Sunday morning I rose to find that my heart had been put back in my chest, but something was different.  There was a gap where a piece of my heart use to be.  And that’s when I knew it. You kept that just for you. And I would never be the same.

So now my heart had to work much harder and pump much faster to compensate for the portion that you had stolen.  I became overly protective not trusting anyone for fear that the remaining part of me would be lost forever and I would surely die.

So even with my broken heart God opened my eyes and gave me the strength of ten men.  It’s amazing what I could do just by having faith.  

I focused on me and my life just as God had instructed.  I walked around anticipating greatness. During the sixth month of the ninth year I took a vacation near Uncle Russ’s town and I saw you there.  I barely recognized you.  You no longer hung out with Mrs. Adam’s boys, but instead you enjoyed the company of falcons, dolphins, seahawks, and vikings.  Your face had been marked by the sun like a slave in the middle of an African desert. Your body had seemed to blossom over night.  Your arms held the signature of your former clan which was in the shape of a man’s work boot. 

Your hands were soft like that of a new born baby and your smile made me feel safe and warm.  But I had to snap out of it!  You had already deceived me once.  I wasn’t going to let you do to it to me again. So, I put on my breast plate to protect the remaining pieces of my heart then God gave me a pair of discernment shades. I saw right through you.  

You moved in with one of Mrs. Adam’s sons and it wasn’t long before your animal friends forgot all about you.  You were ordinary; a regular guy.  Your muscles had awarded you with great advantages, but it all came to an abrupt end and you almost lost your mind.

I didn’t want to leave you that way, but two broken people would never work.  It was time for me to start over once and for all, so I bought a one way ticket to OC south side and never looked back.

To be continued… 

No comments:

Post a Comment