Monday, October 1, 2012

Writer's Block


For weeks now, I have had an idea in my head about a profound essay that I could write in preparation for my birthday on October 3rd I thought of several different titles that I could use; 31 Flavors of me, 31 Flavors of Love, 31 Simply Put and so on and so forth.  I thought of the lives that I could possible touch simply by being obedient and allowing God to speak through me. The day has come for me to formulate the message and I am at a loss for words.

The idea came to me one evening. I would write 31 letters representing each year of my life during the 31 days of October. I even went so far as to create an organized list of recipients for each letter.  The first letter would be designated for God.  My parents and brothers would be in the top five. Then I would go on to my close friends.  Towards the end of my list I would reach out to mentors or people that have made a profound impact on my life.  Finally I would end with a letter to God.

I have written and rewritten the first line of this passage over and over again for at least an hour now. I went as far as looking up writer’s block to perhaps find a solution to my problem, but yet here I am babbling along searching for the words to capture the attention of likely readers.  

“Do I really have anything to say?”  I thought to myself.  “Does anybody besides my family and close friends read my blog? Surely no one would notice if I were to skip the entire month of October and then pick back up in November.”

The more I tried to talk myself out of it; the more I was tormented by the empty white page staring back at me.  “Just start writing.” I thought to myself.  Fear of judgment and rejection made it hard for me to summarize the thoughts that were running through my head.  Nevertheless, here I am writing.

The title that I have chosen (although not a part of the original lists of titles) is 31 Letters It’s simple and straight to the point. I have no clue if any of the letters will have a common theme.  I also have no clue what I am going to write.  I plan to treat them like anything else I have written in the past; however allowing myself to be transparent.  This is my first open or public attempt at walking into the unfamiliar. My hope is that God will allow me to inspire at least one person along the way.

Let’s begin!

Christy 









No comments:

Post a Comment