Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 Letters - Letter #9 (Revised)


To: The Love makers and the Heart breakers (Part 1)
From: Me


I plan to dedicate an entire chapter to you in my upcoming book, but until then I'll leave you with this letter.

I was young when we first met. You did a double take when you looked at me. Quite frankly it caught me off guard. "Could he be looking at me" I thought. I checked behind me to be sure, then I moved my eyes from you to the floor. "Surely he wasn't looking at me." I thought. So I went on my merry way until you sat down beside me. I was afraid to look you directly in the eye but then there I was and there you were. I was lost in the dream of me being yours and you being mine. Then I let you in to the place that I kept protected. The bricks that I put up over the years slowly came crashing down. I was exposed to you. And just like that things changed. I was no longer a mystery and you were no longer a saint. I watched the clock dreading the hour when you and I would be face to face. I could still feel the pain from the day before. I could still hear you mocking me. "Just make him go away." I cried. And just like that God answered my prayers. You became a statistic and I was free to live my life.

A few years later I saw you again. This time you were much more charming than before. You told me everything I wanted to hear except that I could be yours and you could be mine. So again we played this game. The not knowing what we were to the knowing exactly what we were not. I prayed again to be released from you and again God answered my prayers, but not before you tore down the walls that I had built and parked your car in my front yard. I ran away from you moving up to a higher level, but you were never far from my thoughts. 

Time would pass on slowly and then there you were again. Now things were different. I rebuilt the wall surrounding my house. I broke the windows out of your car and set a match to it like Stella. You were gone....or so I thought. When I saw you again you had grown taller and stronger. You were just as polite as I remembered you. I looked much different though. You leaned in for a kiss under the street light as Martha peered over us in all of her stature.  When you pulled away I could tell this would be it for us. You had gotten soft. You were no longer the aggressive guy, but instead you had a heart of gold. That only made me like you more. So you warned me in advance of your doggery. You told me that I was a "good girl" and you would never want to "break my heart". I can't say that I wasn't upset but I had to respect the game, and keep it moving. You had finally grown up... At least that's what your lips said, but your eyes...well they still tell all of your secrets. 

To be continued...

Disclaimer:  No homes, cars, or animals were harmed as a result of this letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment