Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Letters – Letter #5


To:  My Brothers

From: Me

I’m gonna try to make this short and sweet cause you know we don’t get all mushy and stuff.
Chris – One of my earliest memories was of you fighting off a dog in our back yard while at the same time holding me on your hip. I cried and cried, but I felt safe as you held me up.  I don’t think we were every really close growing up.  I think that I was more afraid of your epilepsy and how it made you turn into someone else then I was of you as an individual. But no matter how much I distance myself from you, you never stopped showing me love.  Mama and daddy were out of town for my sixteenth birthday, so you brought me a cake and balloons to school, well actually to the band room.  I felt pretty special. That was in October of 1997. The following January we dropped you off at your apartment and the next morning you were gone.  In 2008, ten years after your death, we started a scholarship in your name and next year we’ll be launching the Christopher George Hamlin Foundation.  It’s important that the world remembers you and the good that you did in the short time that you were here. You died when you were twenty-seven.  I just turned thirty-one a few days ago.  It’s kind of bizarre really.  Your foundation will help so many future “masters of music” afford to attend Grambling State and travel with the Tiger Marching Band like you did so many years ago.  I know that you’re looking down on us smiling.  Thanks for the time that you were here and the lives that you touched.  I will personally make sure that you will never be forgotten.

Carlton – Dude, I probably talked to you more than any of my other brothers.  Maybe it’s because we are both Libra’s I don’t know. You taught me how to do the cabbage patch and many of the other popular dance moves that were crazy in the 80’s and early 90’s.  You taught me how to ride my bike and even how to drive even though nine or ten was probably a bit young for me to be behind the wheel.  I was always jealous of your patience.  You would sit and complete an entire 500 or 1000 piece puzzle and not be distracted by any outside force.  You are the number 1 reason I fell in love with football.  I was only in elementary school when you were a running back #80 playing for Grambling High.  I remember you scoring that touchdown against Arcadia High and remember you explaining how everything around you was silent while the only thing in front of you was the end zone. That had to be an amazing feeling.  Since then you haven’t really slowed down.  Because of you I learned sign language while most of my high school classmates were off enjoying their summer break.  I honestly believe you can do anything because I’ve seen you try everything at least once in your lifetime.  Like Chris you played in the band and now sing and help out with the music ministry at your church.  I didn’t even know you had the skills as a photographer until a short time ago.  Boy, I am telling you the world has yet to see the incredible gifts that you have yet to tap in to, but in order to get there you will have to see yourself as I see you and as God see’s you!  You’re an amazing vessel with an amazing assignment. Sometimes we hold ourselves back because of fear.  You’ve never been afraid before, so why start now.  I’m ready!  Can hardly wait!

Chad – you were my first and best friend.  We would hang out all of the time when we were younger and I was probably really annoying to you, but no matter what you would always let me tag along.  I didn’t even care if you talked about me or made fun of me I just wanted to hang out with you.  Daddy use to tell me that I spent so much time defending everybody else, but no ever came to my rescue.  You see, I didn’t do it for my benefit. I did it for you.  I refused to let anybody talk about or disrespect my family.  I had a mouth on me mostly at home, but let the wrong person say something about any of my brother’s and I was all over them.  I could never repay you for all of the stuff that you did for me growing up, but I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to.  You are an amazing father!  When I joined you and the boys for dinner the other day it felt good to see you so grown up.  There you were with a wife and three sons one of whom is nearly a man himself.  I am very proud of you. You of all of my brothers has made it very difficult for me to find that “one” person for me.  You have set the bar pretty high.  So in closing I’ll just say continue to do you and pay no attention to negative distractions.  I still pray the prayer of protection over you as you “Protect and Serve” the community.  Be sure to find some time for you to rest, reflect, talk to God, or whatever.  God’s got great things in store for you!

Your little sister,
Christy

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful reflections and dedications cuz'n!! Chris was a very kind person and would keep me laughing whenever I came home from Dillard. Carlton, well, I've already booked him for family photos for Christmas; his work is amazing!!! Chad, has always been such a great person, always smiling. I usually bump into him at Wal-Mart and last Christmas at Glen View. See you at homecoming!! Girl, we are GROWN now!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete